Today, May 4th, is Star Wars Day and here are ten reasons why the next Star Wars film, episode VII, is going to be brilliant:
1. George Lucas is not involved. This seems unkind as he is the guy who created the universe but he was only ever great as the ideas man. Neither Empire or Jedi were directed by him and were all the better for it. If only he’d given control of the prequel trilogy over to someone else. Sorry George.
2. Disney are holding the chequebook. It is easy to be cynical about the house of mouse buying Lucasfilm (Have there ever been two companies who so relentlessly market their properties? We are going to be able to buy Jedi dental floss and R2D2 potato peelers) but Disney have a good track record for supporting other people’s projects without interfering. Marvel and Pixar Studios stand as good examples of this.
3. J.J Abrams is calling the shots. There is no one better at taking old properties and breathing new life into them. Also, look again at the central hyperspace battle at the centre of his last Star Trek movie, it was fantastic.
4. Han, Luke and Leia are back. C’mon, it’s Han, Luke and Leia! I love these people. Han Solo! Luke Skywalker! Princess Leia!
5. The rest of the cast looks great too. Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, Andy Serkis, these are all good people.
6. They must have learnt something from the po-faced flaws of episodes I – III, they must have done.
7. Large sections of it are being filmed in IMAX. Stars Wars IN IMAX!
8. A lightsaber in the hands of a true master is a weapon of beauty.
9. The Star Wars Universe is a wonderful playground with fantastic toys.
10. Jar Jar Binks won’t be in it.
Of course we’ve been disappointed before and I wish I could be sure they are going to get the gender politics right this time but I’ve got a good feeling about this.